Documentation

Please see our short introduction video.

Hands on introductions (available upon request for more than 15 people, email us!).

  • Groningen, 12th & 13 of September (Register)
  • Groningen, 9th & 10 of October (Register)
  • Aberdeen, 23th of Augusts (Register)

FAQ


Q: Why are there no FAQ items?
A: FAQ items are for frequently asked questions. CodeThing is so straightforward that no single questions have ever been asked more than once!


Q: How many users does CodeThing have?
A: CodeThing has only just started. We currently have about 10 active users!


Q: How / when do I pay?
A: Our pricing is donation based with minimal fee 0.03 euro-cents per coded entry. When you start coding we will send you an open invoice via Paypal. This invoice includes your minimal fee. You need to pay this invoice before you can download your coded data


Q: How many people can use my CodeThing deployment?
A: CodeThing is a multi-user coding platform. There is no hard limit on the maximum number of users that can work on one coding tasks at the same time.


Q: How much time / money will I save when I use CodeThing?
A: It is hard to give a general answer. Key to understanding how CodeThing will help you is to understand that it will help you to reduce coding decisions to single judgement calls. There are three main factors that influence the coding time left when using CodeThing.

  1. The first one is how diverse the underlying data is. It won’t be necessary anymore to look repetitively are very similar data-points. When your data is highly diverse however – which means that you have a lot of judgement calls to make – coding can still be relatively time intensive. Interestingly, this also means that the size of your data-set is not the key defining factor. This makes using CodeThing particularly attractive for very large data-sets.
  2. The second one is how much if your data you wish to code. Most raw text data contains a very large set of entries that is relatively non-diverse and a long tail that is highly diverse. As a result, with a typical coding problem, you will be able to code ~70%/80% of your data very quickly (i.e. in a couple of hours / days). The remaining 20% often takes a lot more time. If you are happy to ignore these less common cases your coding will be done much faster.
  3. The third key factor is how contained your data is. If everything there is to know about an entry is described in the text (i.e. a tweet) your coding will be much faster then when manual lookups outside the coding environment is required (i.e. I have a name of a company but can make out its area of main activity from its name).

Please feel free to contact us if you are interested in a more precise assessment for your case!


Q: How fast is CodeThing? How big can my dataset be?
A: The key factor here is the number of unique (in terms of text-value) raw text entries that you would like to code. Currently, we have tested the platform with data-sets that contains up to 100.000 unique rows. If you have more data: still don’t hesitate to request a trail deployment. We are excited the meet you, and your data :)!


Q: How do I get my data in and out of my CodeThing deployment?
A: Once you have registered, after login; CodeThing will guide your through the import process. To import/upload, you simply copy paste in two tables: one with your entries and one with your codes. To export/download you first make your donation, after which you can download your coding work as .csv file.

Sign up for beta use
Register for updates